Monday, August 15, 2011

A Summer Project of mine - 2009

And here it is:



My first quilt :)
Technically, I did make another one a couple of years back, but that wasn't patchwork as such and I have no pictures of it as it was a 'Congratulations on being born' present to my baby (at the time) cousin.

However.... this beauty, well I know its relatively simple, just 8 blocks of 25 (if I remember correctly) squares. That was what took the longest really, cutting out all the squares ready to sew them together... Cleverly, if I do say so myself, I made a mock up on the computer, so I knew how much of each colour I would need! So, after cutting out all the squares, I started sewing it together. This bit went relatively quickly... straight line sewing is a doddle after doing it for ages. Bear in mind that I was heading to University for my first year that September so I needed to be finished by the end of summer :) 

Thankfully I managed this... and now have an amazing quilt that I love! Admittedly, at the end of that July I had absolutely no intention of making such a thing, It just came about when I decided to look through all the fabric I had gathered over the years and realised that I had a hell of a lot and that I should do something about it.

Those of you who are looking a bit closer at the actual quilt, you may notice that one square in each set looks a bit different. This is because I'd bought one of those strips with squares of designs and incorporated these in :)
See the ones with the Giraffe, Panda and Lemur? Yea those 3 were the ones I used!
One bit of advice for people, I know its pretty obvious and such, but don't use the same paper square template for all 200+ squares.... its bound to change size as you keep cutting! OOOOOPPPPSSS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment