Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Gecko #2

Well, after the amazing success that was my first gecko cushion, I decided to make another to 'match' the first. (Mainly because the first is now sitting in a lovely little flat all by its lonesome and needed a friend to join it)

Ok, I admit, its just cause I wanted another go!!

Since the border on the first cushion had been made of silk, the, now, owner of these two cushions stated that the border of the second cushion must also be silk. Now, before we decided what colour silk, we needed to choose the fabric for the gecko. I have quite a number of different patterned fabrics, some batik, some not. Most of them would make awesome gecko fabric. However, the white and black was chosen. From this came the (in retrospect) mental on my part, decision to go with grey silk... but no, it was insisted upon!!

And so came the time to decide what colour square to have in the middle. OH MY WORD! Nothing matched with both the black and white and the grey! Bright Blue - gecko didnt stand out, purple - made grey look dull, yellow - didnt stand out, dark blue - made grey look dull, green - been told not to use, red - avoiding red because of other cushion.... DILEMMA!!



In the end, I managed to find a square of orange just big enough, and this worked well enough. Then came the second dilemma... My sewing machine didn't have the option to change the stitch length, and as such, I couldn't sew round the edge of the gecko with the same stitch as last time (which was done on my Mum's sewing machine)!! Oh lordy... in the end, I used a zig-zag stitch. It did the trick, but i'm not completely happy with the final cushion!

However, I really do like this whole 'Lets sew a shape onto a square of fabric'


 Im going to have to experiment more!! :O :D

No comments:

Post a Comment